Time & Location
Aug 09, 2022, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Meet in Lake Toxaway
About the Event
Learn, taste & enjoy all things honeybee related with the Killer Bees Honey beekeeper. Come experience our mountain-top sanctuary and the millions of bees who call it home (or hive)!
- Discuss the life of a hive, its Queen and the fierce loyalty of her female subjects.
- Inspect a hive up close and personal with the beekeeper in a protective bee suit.
- Hold a frame full of bees and experience the thrill of seeing the Queen!
- Savor honey from the Killer Bees apiary, paired expertly with different foods for a light lunch (with champagne!)
- Learn how to evaluate the properties of fine artisanal honey varietals.
- Pour a souvenir bottle of honey straight from the hives.
Registration is required and closes 2 weeks prior to the tour. Meet at Bear Tracks Travel Center, Lake Toxaway at 9:45 am. Transportaion is provided from Bear Tracks via van. Back to Bear Tracks at 2:00pm.
Guides: Sean Collinsworth - The Beekeeper
Sean has been raising bees since he was 12 yrs old. From 1 hive in Chicago suburb, to 90 hives most recently in the Western NC mountains, Sean is the only American to be certified in the Sensory Analysis of Honey with the Italian Registry of Honey Sensory Experts and educated at UC Davis.
Denise Altay - The Queen Bee
Denise has a background in non-profit finance and worked in NYC for 30 years with the nation's largest community development intermediary. Denise had no interest or understanding of bees until her husband (the beekeeper) placed 3 beehives in their backyard. she quickly became obsessed with all things bee related.